Friday, September 17, 2010

Popcorn the Bear - Thanks a Bunch - sunflowers birthday card


Hello and welcome to my Blog!  I am finally back on deck after being away for about 2 weeks.  Yay!!  You might need your sunglasses for this card!!

I needed to make a birthday card for my Godfather's partner's birthday this week.  She is a wonderful and vibrant lady who emigrated to Australia from the Philippines about 20 or so years ago.  I know that she really LOVES bright colours, so when I was looking for some ideas, I came across the Splitcoaststampers Inspiration Challenge IC249 - 'Cost Plus World Market' website - where you choose an image that inspires you - and I chose the orange scarf from the 3 photos they had there because it was so bright and cheerful, plus when I thought of yellow/orange, I thought of sunflowers, and chose this picture as well from the Cost Plus World Market website.  I would love to have a field of sunflowers in my backyard just like in the picture - they just exude warmth and vibrancy.  And then I remembered I had this 'Popcorn the Bear' image holding the huge bunch of sunflowers - ahh, perfect!  

I stamped the image with Memento Tuxedo black ink and coloured it with Odourless Mineral Spirits (OMS) and Prismacolor pencils then chalked the sky and ground.  I ticket-punched the corners.  The tag was diecut with my Cuttlebug and one of the Tiny Tags dies; I lightly inked around the tag with 'Olive Pastel' chalk ink so the edges would stand out better against the main image panel.  I stamped the sentiment with Stazon Jet Black - I find this ink seems to work better with clear (photopolymer) stamps (as opposed to rubber) and I get a clearer image.

The orange designer paper is by My Mind's Eye and comes from a 6" x 6" pad (of some 48 sheets) called "Bloom and Grow" and was already embossed (just in case you thought I put the paper thru my Cuttlebug).

The tiny orange hearts near the duck and on the tag are the leftover punchies from my Arrows Border punch, which I added a bit of glitter to.  I attached the ribbon in 2 separate elements and the bow itself was made with my Bow Easy.

Challenges:  I am entering this card into the Allsorts Challenge Week 69 of Colours of Autumn.  I think mine should qualify with the orange, green, brown and yellow tones.

Thanks again for stopping by - I'll be back in a few days with another card!

Jocelyn


Card Recipe:

Stamps:  Crafter's Companion 'Popcorn the Bear' Thanks a bunch PST-TKS unmounted set, Sentiments from Impression Obsession Sentiments 1 WP16 clear set

Ink:  Memento Tuxedo black, Stazon Jet black, Colorbox Olive Pastel chalk

Designer paper:  My Mind's Eye 'Bloom and Grow' 6 x 6 pad

Punches:  EK Success Arrows border, Stampin' Up Ticket corner punch and Horizontal slot punch

Accessories:  Cuttlebug + Tiny Tags die set, ribbon, Bow Easy, OMS, Prismacolor pencils, paper stumps, Kaisercolour chalks, Kindyglitz Crystalina, burnt orange brads, Cardstock:  KW Doggett 'Knight' (white), burnt orange, pale olive

No comments:

Post a Comment